typewriters

typewriters

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Nanowrimo: Day 19: Excerpt

Nanowrimo: Day 19
Current Word Count: 31,143
Words to Go: 18,857
Average Daily Word Count to Meet Goal: 1572

“Here -take this.” She held out a crappy flip phone, the kind that no one uses anymore except to buy their kids for a dollar at a garage sale for the purpose of mock phone calls.

“Do you even know me?” I’m sure my face was screwed up with disgust, and I know I stepped further back, shielding myself from the biohazard. 

“Take it.” She held it closer to me. “If we’re going to be on a case together, I might need you at random intervals of time.”

“Call my house number.”

“When you’re at Book World or at Denny’s all day? No. If I need you in some kind of emergency, the last thing I need is to be in a compromising situation, rolling through a list of possible phone numbers to reach you.”

“What kind of compromising situation?”

“I mean, can’t you just see it now? I’ll be lying on the street with a broken leg because the mafia attempted a hit-“

“Who brought the mafia in on this?”

“-and I’ll call you at Book World. ‘Um, is Constantine there?’ ‘Sure, please hold.’” Her please hold voice was far too saccharine and then she jumped into some kind of doot-doot elevator tune that I’m pretty sure doesn’t actually exist.

“I think if the mafia attempted a hit on you, you would be dead in the street, not maimed in the street.”

She was still doot-doot-ing and then interrupted herself to say, “‘Thanks for holding, this is Constantine.’ ‘Hey, Constantine, I’m lying maimed in the street because the mafia attempted a hit, but I’m super good at jujitsu and I got his gun away from him and he’s run off, but, hey, I need you to come get me, since I might be paralyzed.” She raised her eyebrows at me.


“That’s the most unrealistic story I’ve ever heard in my life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment