typewriters

typewriters

Thursday, January 17, 2013

New is to Year as Happy is to Reading

Books I bought yesterday:
-Map of Time by Felix J. Palma
-I Could Pee on This: And Other Poems By Cats by Francesco Marciuliano

Books I wanted to buy yesterday:
-Steampunk Magazine Anthology (I'm teaching the class...)
-Map of the Sky by Felix J. Palma (The cover is so pretty.)
-Collected Poetry by Jack Gilbert (I just found out he died in November.)
-The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis (Reviewed well on NPR.)
-Alone Together: Why We Expect More From Technology and Less From Each Other (I'm a hypocrite: "I hate technology," I profess, as I copy what I've said onto my blog after texting it on my Droid and emailing a student that I'll only accept homework turned in via Blackboard.)

Children's books I looked at because they're fun:
-I Must Have Bobo by Eileen Rosenthal. About a cat who steals a plush monkey. Hee hee.
-Zorro Gets An Outfit by Carter Goodrich. Because pugs should have capes. 

Books I've finished this year:
-East of Eden by John Steinbeck, 600 pages
-Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway, 120 pages

Newton's Law of Reading Physics:
If the rate at which one acquires texts is steeper than the rate at which one reads texts, one shall be so overwhelmed with reading that one shall rip out one's hair. Or maybe just read faster. Or maybe just never be bored for a single day in one's life -that seems more likely.

(Psst: Thanks, Newton, for letting me put words in your mouth.)


No comments:

Post a Comment